Sunday, June 16, 2013

♥ Father's Day ♥

Today I'm going to veer off of books and talk about something a little more personal to me.

Father's Day is a day to celebrate the men in our lives. Not only our own dads, but those who we look up to, our children's dads, our friend's dads, our grandfathers. Hopefully you all have someone in your life who fits one or more of those bills.

For me, I want to highlight my own dad. He has been a constant mentor in my life, a constant source of love and happiness for me. From a young age I knew he was someone special, as most kids feel about their parents. He seemed invincible, strong, unyielding. Of course we had our differences (I'd be lying if I said otherwise), but he has always been there for me.


When I was 16, he was injured at work (he was working at a dock plate and unfortunately the spring that was stuck unstuck itself and he was hit with a large amount of steel in his face). The doctors called him lucky. That was probably the worst time in the the history of our relationship, as I didn't handle it too well. I had trouble being around him - something about him didn't seem whole. And I was scared. All the sudden he didn't seem so invincible.

But, as we grow, we of course realize that life is short and that you just never know. I got over it (it only took about a month, but that was a month from hell). He's had other injuries since then but nothing as extreme. Thankfully, he has remained to be my constant go-to and a wonderful Poppy (aka Grandpa) to my (and my brother's) children.

Dad & Eli (After a swim...)
Dad & Zoe (She has always been so relaxed with him.)


Who are you thankful for in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking your time to share your thoughts! I try to respond to everyone. :)