Thursday, November 22, 2012

TBR Thursday 11.22

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!  I hope everyone has a great, family-filled, food-filled, day... with minimal turkey comas. I am just hoping this year not to fill my house with smoke. It's a small goal, but one I feel I should make anyway.


TBR Thursday is a (mostly) weekly meme hosted by Kelsy at Up in the Bibliosphere in which you select a book that has been gathering dust on your bookshelf and add it to your lineup for next week.  I'll be honest, for me it may mean moving it up on my TBR list, which may or not be within the next month, or the book I already plan on reading next.  :)  This week's  TBR Thursday winner is:

Code Name Verity
Goodreads * Amazon ~

Oct. 11th, 1943 - A British spy plan crashes in Nazi-occupied France.

Its pilot and passenger are best friends.

One of the girls has a chance at survival. The other has lost the game before it's barely begun.

When "Verity" is arrested by the Gestapo, she's sure she doesn't stand a chance. As a secret agent captured in enemy territory, she's living a spy's worst nightmare. Her Nazi interrogators give her a simple choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution.

They'll get the truth out of her. But it won't be what they expect.

As she intricately weaves her confession, Verity uncovers her past, how she became friends with the pilot Maddie, and why she left Maddie in the wrecked fuselage of their plane. One each new scrap of paper, Verity battles for her life, confronting her views on courage and failure and her desperate hope to make it home. But will trading her secrets be enough to save her from the enemy?

Harrowing and beautifully written, Code Name Verity is the story of an unforgettable friendship forged in the face of ultimate evil.

(Taken from Goodreads)

Why did this one make the cut? Not only has Malissa (yes, that same bookish best friend of mine) been harping at me to read it, I was at the Indiana Library Federation annual conference and got to listen to Nancy Pearl (yes, the Nancy Pearl) speak, and she said Code Name Verity was her favorite teen book of the year. Mind you, I bought this book back the first weekend of October, but it is definitely moving up - possibly as soon as I finish The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater (which I am nearly halfway through right now, even if my husband is feeling neglected because of it). I am, however, a bit scared. I've read one review (Malissa really wants me to read this book, so she sent me a link to Maggie Stiefvater's review of it on Goodreads (since I am quickly becoming a huge fan of hers and am trying not be like a stalker fangirl). Needless to say, that sort of put me over the edge and I am 99% sure it will be the next book in my hands.  

What about you?  What book may jump the line and land in your hands next?  Leave a link to your own TBR Thursday post or your answer itself in the comments below.  Thanks!  :)

Smiles,
B






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking your time to share your thoughts! I try to respond to everyone. :)