Thursday, July 11, 2013

15 Day Book Blogger Challenge: Day 2 | Bedtime Reading Ritual

I ran across this today and decided to participate in Good Books & Good Wine's 15 Day Book Blogging Challenge. :)  It's a chance to get to know each other a bit better and have fun doing it.

What is it, you may be asking? Well, she has a list all made up (see below) and each day you answer a different question or write based on the prompt. Easy peasy, right? Probably not, but fun nonetheless. If you're interested, just click on the link to learn more.


Day 2: Bedtime Reading Ritual

Today's post is about my bedtime reading ritual. I will say that I won't read in bed. I will never go to sleep if I do. But, here's a typical evening:

The kids get put down for nap. Usually this takes about an hour by the time baths are done, teeth are brushed, stories are read, and we've made sure bladders are empty, water is by the bedside, and they are tucked in snug as a bug. Depending on the day I've had, I will either poor myself a glass of water after that, or a glass of wine. If there's a show I want to catch up on, I may watch that if I'm not too anxious about what happens next in the book (as was the story last nite). But usually the hubby is home and wants to watch sports *stifles a yawn*. Then I'll pick up my book and read until he's sports-out and turns off the tv. When he then asks if I'm ready for bed, I'll say yes or no, depending on how the book is going. Sometimes I'll be up late reading, always on the floor or the couch (never rarely the bed) after he is sawing logs. If the story is at a good stopping point, I'll close the book and head to bed, usually doing number puzzles to clear my head enough to sleep.

I never really thought I had a bedtime reading ritual until now. I guess I do. I would guess that it's a higher percentage of nights that I read than that I don't. Especially in the summer when most of my fave shows are on reruns. :)

What about you? Do you have a bedtime reading ritual?

Smiles,
B

4 comments:

  1. Love how we're all creatures of habit without even realizing it! I don't really think I have a ritual, but let's see ...

    Most nights I work until 6 or 7 so we eat a later dinner and after cleanup, etc it's usually 9ish. If my hubby wants to play a video game (usually sports related, and what's with men and sports, lol?) then I'll read while he does that. If we wants to watch something that I do, I'll usually grab whatever my current yarn project is instead. Sometimes I read in bed if it's not too late, but I tend not to be very good at limiting my time and next thing I know it's WAY past my bedtime ... I definitely read daily between breakfast time, lunch and after work, but not always before bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just rarely read in bed, but we know I love my sleep, so there's that. lol But I will shirk other responsibilities - dishes, laundry, dinner (haha) - to read. ;)

      Delete
  2. I do read in bed almost every night, but I also have an 'evening' ritual - driving my boyfriend nuts when he wants to talk to me about what he's watching on TV and I don't listen ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA... I think that's a fabulous ritual! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking your time to share your thoughts! I try to respond to everyone. :)