Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Social Media {A Little of the School Life}

This is for an assignment for one of my classes... ignore away. :)

Social networks seem to be everywhere. Both on a personal and a professional level. I have accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, GoodReads, and LibraryThing. There's a chance my Myspace account is still there, I suppose. While I have accounts on all of the above, that's not to say I use them all regularly or that I use them at all, really. Take Google+ for example. I can't recall the last time I actually checked out my page. (Although writing this will probably spur me to do so... that's how it ends up happening for me.)


Facebook is one that I use almost daily. I scroll through it, post to it, kill time with it. There are downsides to it, as with anything (drama, anyone?), but overall it's good for keeping up with friends and family that don't live near. I can see what they're up to and they can see what I'm up to. On a professional level, it's great for spreading the word about events or for letting our followers know what's new in the library. I also like to share fun things that are related to reading, books, or even general stuff that I think our community might find interesting. The Shelby County Public Library has a general Facebook page as well as a Teen-specific page. The IUPUI SOIC uses Facebook to promote students' successes as well as events and varying celebrations (like Spring and International Women's Day).


I've had an account on LinkedIn for some time but I've not used it as much as other social media sites that geared more toward personal interests. It is a great networking site for professionals and a great way to connect with people in the community. For instance, one of my connections is Nathan Burger, who is a Manager for the Indiana Fever Group Events and Programs. Every year he provides us with vouchers for free tickets for those that complete our summer reading program.

While nothing can take away from the value of face-to-face interaction, technology is ever-present and ever-growing in this world. It's a great tool for communication and making connections on both personal and professional levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking your time to share your thoughts! I try to respond to everyone. :)