Thursday, May 9, 2013

Review • 13 Little Blue Envelopes • Review

13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)Title: 13 Little Blue Envelopes
Author: Maureen Johnson
Series: Little Blue Envelope #1
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: September 2006
Source:  Library
Rating: 3.5 stars

~ The Scoop from Goodreads ~

When Ginny receives thirteen little blue envelopes and instructions to buy a plane ticket to London, she knows something exciting is going to happen. What Ginny doesn't know is that she will have the adventure of her life and it will change her in more ways than one. Life and love are waiting for her across the Atlantic, and the thirteen little blue envelopes are the key to finding them in this funny, romantic, heartbreaking novel.

Goodreads-badge-add-plus

After reading Requiem, I really needed a breather from seriousness. From death and destruction and the heaviness of the world ending and all. This seemed like the perfect pick.

I've read four books now by Maureen Johnson. While the first, Devilish, still remains my favorite of hers, this one didn't fair too bad either. It's cute, whimsical, and fun.

While it was an adventure, I did have some problems with it. She is 17 years old. And I'm not sure it matters just how mature that child is, as a mom myself I cannot fathom letting my 17 year old daughter traipse across Europe without contact, without a buddy, without something. Maybe it's the way some people live, but for me I just can't imagine it. But once I got past that (I maybe, possibly, pictured as a college student... that's definitely possible), I was able to enjoy her ride a bit more. 

I also struggled with how naively trusting she was. I realize that she trusted her aunt and so knocking on whatever doors Aunt Peg told her to was perfectly ok with me. But the random strangers she meets and just automatically trusts them not to, I don't know, murder her in her sleep, seems a bit extreme. It would be awesome if our world was that nice, but it's really not. I know, I know, there was the one shady character, but even that didn't seem to be a big deal to her. She just brushed it off like, "Oh, that happened. I'm not freaked out at all." 

Overall, I did enjoy the story. We get to see Ginny grow little on her adventurous side and come to accept that her aunt is gone. It's a fun, light read, and I look forward to seeing what happens in The Last Little Blue Envelope.

Have you read it? What'd you think?

Smiles,
B

2 comments:

  1. Super cute review, and I feel like the book is the same. :) I've already added it to my Goodreads, will have to get it sometime soon. Thanks for posting! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a fun, lighter read for sure. ;) Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Smiles,
      B

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking your time to share your thoughts! I try to respond to everyone. :)