Monday, January 19, 2015

A Little of the Storytime Life {Snowmen}

http://www.myshelbylibrary.org/storytimes.php

For more on what A Little of the Storytime Life is, here's the original post. :)

(Posted late because I was sick at the end of last week... whoopsie!)
This week, I actually did two separate storytimes. I had my regular storytime and I did storytime for a local preschool (I do that once a month for this particular preschool). Both were snow-based storytimes, but with different crafts. :)

The books:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/819667.Snowmen_at_Night?from_search=true  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2114794.All_You_Need_for_a_Snowman There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow!
Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner
All You Need for a Snowman by Alice Schertle
There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow by Lucille Colandro


Snowmen at Night is one of my absolute favorite winter books. There's an entire series out there, but this was the first. It's so much fun to read out loud and the pictures are great. We took the time to talk about the winter activities going on throughout the book and whether or not they thought their snowman would go out and have fun while they were sleeping.

If you're not familiar with Lucille Colandro's series of books about a lady swallowing things, then I'm not sure where you've been. Based on Goodreads (which I'm certain is never wrong *cough* *cough*), There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow was the first of hers. Of course, it all stems from the original poem/song "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly"... but no one ever dies in Colandro's books. The lady swallows all of the things and then burps or hiccups (let's be honest... vomits) out all the things she swallows... in this case, a snowman! The kids love seeing what she might swallow next and we talk about whether or not they would eat those things. We also talked about whether or not that was the best way to build a snowman. Which was a great lead-in to All You Need for A Snowman. :)

All You Need for a Snowman turned out to be a bigger hit with the preschool kids than I anticipated. They loved telling me all the other things that were needed to build a snowman. In hindsight, I think this would make a great felt board story... or create some sort of felt board activity to go along side it. I think they'd enjoy that as well.

The two crafts I did this week were Pinterest finds. We created melted snowmen in regular storytime and we did coffee filter snowflakes with the local preschool. I precut the pieces for the melted snowman and wrote "My Melted Snowman" on a piece of blue construction paper for each kid. During storytime, I put a glob of white fingerpaint on their blue paper and gave them a paintbrush. They smeared the snow (you know, paint) all around and then they stuck on their snowman pieces where ever they wanted, since it was melted.




And if you've never done a coffee filter *insert anything* craft with kids, you're missing out on an easy-peasy activity. All you need, really, is a coffee filter, markers, and a spray bottle. Scissors if you want a certain shape (heart, snowflake, apple, pumpkin, leaf, sun... the list could go on and on and on and on and on...). Color coffee filter; spray with water; watch it spread. That's it. Let it dry and then hang up. :)

Have you any good suggestions for snow/winter books and crafts? I'm always looking for new ideas to incorporate.

Smiles,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking your time to share your thoughts! I try to respond to everyone. :)