Friday, January 4, 2013

Name of the Star: Review

 The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1)
Author(s): Maureen Johnson
Series: Shades of London, Book 1
Publisher: Putnam Publishing
Publication Date: October 2009
Source: Own (Bought)
Format: Kindle Edition
Rating: 4 stars

~Goodreads Description~

The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.

Soon “Rippermania” takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.


“Keep calm and carry on.
Also, stay in and hide because the Ripper is coming.”
   

I have owned this book for quite some time. It was the first book I purchased when I received my Kindle as a present. I finally picked it up and read it. I am SO glad I did. I don't know what took me so long; it's not like I'm not a fan of Maureen Johnson. I have enjoyed everything I've read by her and her twitter feed amuses me regularly. Whatever the case, I'm just glad I finally read it. :)

“It was like the entire world was colluding to make me feel insane, and it was doing a really good job.”

It took a little bit to get into it. I think, as is usually the case, it was a lack of time I could devote in one sitting to be swept away by the story, the characters. About halfway through, though, I had trouble wanting to put it down when need be. (For some reason, my kids have the worst timing when they wake up... lol).

“I decided to deflect her attitude by giving a long, Southern answer. I come from people who know how to draw things out. Annoy a Southerner, and we will drain away the moments of your life with our slow, detailed replies until you are nothing but a husk of your former self and that much closer to death.” 

I felt like Rory was strong in the sense that she left America to attend a school in a country to which she's never been. The times others were trying to make her feel uncomfortable she killed them with kindness, and family stories. I thought this was very well done. I felt the story was a bit slow going in the beginning, building up to the 'action', but it was very well written so it didn't bother me too much. I love a good story, so I don't mind trudging if need be. Also, just like the people in the story, serial killers (especially those who have never been identified) intrigue me. So the concept had me at the start. I was very interested to see what she was going to do with it.

My plan is no spoilers. I can say, however, that the ending... I did not see coming. I saw some things (ha! pun not intended, actually) that I wasn't sure I was supposed to see 'yet', but that... I didn't guess, predict. Made total sense, but still. As soon as it happened, I was like "Oh... that makes perfect sense. It fits." Plus, I was starting to wonder where she would go with a follow up. Now I know. I'm very curious to see what happens with Rory and her friends in The Madness Underneath.

“Fear can't hurt you," she said. "When it washes over you, give it no power. It's a snake with no venom. Remember that. That knowledge can save you.”

Have any of you read it? If so, what did you think? If you haven't, do you think you'll read it?

Smiles,
B

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book, but I love her Enevelope series. Maureen Johnson's twitter is hilarious! I agree completely and so I must pick up this book up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 'heard' a lot of Maureen in here while I was reading. :)

      Thanks for stopping and commenting.

      B

      Delete
  2. I loved this book, and I'm so excited that I got Madness Underneath from NetGalley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it too, so I'm looking forward to reading it soon. :)

      Thanks for visiting.
      B

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking your time to share your thoughts! I try to respond to everyone. :)